Church fort of St. Mary, Vrboska - Hvar island, History & Culture
One of the most significant monuments of the island of Hvar is definitely the Church – fort erected in 1571, after the Turkish attack on the location of an older church that originated in 1465.
The church has the shape of a fort with an observation post and a loop-hole and from its top there is a beautiful panoramic view of the surrounding places and fields. The church preserves valuable works of Stefan Celesti ('Lady of Mount Carmel'), Antonio Sciuri ('Mary's Childbirth'), Giuseppe Alabardi ('Resurrection' and 'Placing into the tomb') Marko Rašica ('Lady of Mount Carmel') and Celestin Medović ('Homage of the Three Kings').
During the tourist season the church is open to visitors between 10 a.m. and noon and 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
During the low season, all visitations must be announced to the parish office by phone (+ 385 21 774 095).